Since its founding at the 1964 – 65 New York World’s Fair, the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) has inspired millions of people — children, teachers and families — by offering creative, participatory ways to learn and encouraging people to explore their curiosity and nurture their creativity. Located in Queens, the most ethnically diverse county in the country, NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors each year and serves thousands more through outreach in schools, teacher professional development programs, and participation in a variety of public events and research initiatives.
NYSCI is a leader in the science museum field, recognized for its highly regarded exhibitions, programs and products, all of which are informed by strategies of engagement called Design, Make, Play. The defining characteristics of Design, Make, Play — open-ended exploration, imaginative learning, personal relevance, deep engagement and delight — are the ingredients that inspire passionate science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learners. NYSCI engages diverse communities of learners, particularly young people, in STEM, by fostering the excitement of self-directed exploration and by tapping into the joy of learning intrinsic in young people’s play. Our transformative model for STEM exploration invites broad participation and makes engagement and learning irresistible.
NYSCI has approximately 80 full time and over 60 part time staff.
Sr. Manager of Individual Giving
The Senior Manager of Individual Giving serves as a key member of the Institutional Advancement team and is an active participant in making strategic decisions to drive forward NYSCI’s strategies for raising unrestricted individual gifts. The Senior Manager is responsible for developing strategies and captivating messaging for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual donors with primary focus on targeted growth of new membership from four- and five-figure renewable annual gifts to support NYSCI’s giving circle, The President’s Council, as well as growing and cultivating new 5- and 6- figure gifts. With the museum reopening in July 2021 to the public with new and refreshed exhibits and a year-long celebration of science, this is an excellent opportunity for a someone who likes to think out of the box and can create a successful growth program for donors who are passionate about STEM. This position is a front-facing fundraising role and we are seeking individuals who take initiative to find creative ways to seek out prospects. Ideal candidates are skilled at networking, cold-calling, scheduling and hosting one-on-one meetings with prospects and developing strategies to build engaging relationships with donors who care about NYSCI’s mission.
NYSCI’s President’s Council is a diverse and dynamic group of individuals who are passionate about STEM. Our members provide crucial annual support, which sustains the core work of the institution and enables NYSCI to deliver transformative educational programs, develop groundbreaking exhibitions and experiences, and provide youth programming and mentoring that inspires the next generation to be STEM leaders. Through a series of events, the Council provides a platform for networking and engaging with topics on the cutting edge of science, technology and STEM learning.
- Steer strategy for the President’s Council with the goal of raising new and renewed gifts ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 annually. Oversee portfolio of current donors and develop strategies to renew and upgrade their gifts and access their networks for new members.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Philanthropy for both the design and execution of cultivation, solicitation, messaging and stewardship strategies.
- Participate in each step of the donor pipeline including: identification; qualification through research; cultivation; briefing; request for support; and prompt follow up, stewardship, and recognition.
- Attend appropriate networking events, and schedule and host one-on-one meetings, calls and site visits with prospective new donors.
- Develop a system to host internal bi-monthly benchmark meetings to show progress to goals.
- Provide stewardship to trustees and other supporters and ambassadors associated with President’s Council activities.
- Collaborate with team to create annual calendar of President’s Council events, topics and themes to enhance donor cultivation including dinners, lunches, salons, and other tie-ins with NYSCI activities and exhibitions (both independently and in collaboration with event vendors).
- Work closely with Manager of Stewardship and Communications to produce Member outreach strategy, including event invitations, newsletters, email blasts and webpage updates.
- Help steer President’s Council Committee meeting agenda and provide strategy on how to best activate Committee members.
- 7-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a front-line development function, managing and forging relationships with individual donors
- Tangible experience of having achieved annual fundraising goals from four- and five-figure donors
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to build long-term relationships with donors
- Events experience a plus
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work independently, but also a team player who will collaboratively engage with others within and outside NYSCI
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- High energy, social nature and passion for NYSCI’s mission is essential
Compensation: Salary range $70-80,000. Commensurate with education, skills and experience. Includes an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
How to Apply: Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include job title in subject line.
The New York Hall of Science is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service, marital status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We support a drug-free workplace.
If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.